Wednesday, June 25, 2008

So, how many techniques can one fit into a layout?

Don't ask me, because I am sure that I can even count the # of techniques I did on this one little layout. From stamping to faux stitching, it has it all. So, without further ado, here is the big picture of the layout, and with the closeups, I will try and tell you what I did as easily as possible. Drive, B, Drive

Ok, so, here is the first closeup, which is of the title.



Ok, so on the title, I used three different types of chipboard letters, Making Memories, Heidi Swapp and Basic Grey. I didn't do a thing to the Making Memories letters, they were the exact color I wanted. But the Heidi Swapp letters were a stark white. That didn't go so well with my layout. And, of course, I didn't have a caramel ink color at home, and it's past midnight (and on the island of Oahu, there isn't really a 24 hour craft store, heck, our Wal Marts arent even 24 hours here), so what's a girl to do? Well, after searching for over 30 minutes, just in case I did have the right color (and still didn't), I decided to mix two colors. I had a very juicy ink pad from Clearsnap in alabaster and a regular brown, and just mixed to give it a more caramel look. Then, I used a Stamped in Ink clear stamp (I believe it is journaling lines) and stamped over the letters, to make them appear a little bit more like the Making Memories chipboard letters. For the Basic Grey letters, I colored them with a Clearsnap black ink pad...so at least that one was easy. ;)





And away we go to the faux stitching AND how I added a bit more texture to the black and white paper from Teresa Collins (which is in the kit).




So, the faux stitching first. This is pretty easy. I drew a white line and then poked holes. Seriously, that was all. Told ya, it was easy. Also, you can see how I distressed the patterened paper. I first ink (with black on this layout), then sand, then use my edge distresser. On the cardstock, I just use the edge distresser.




And here is the added little extra texture I added to the black and white grid paper from Teresa Collins.







So, this layout had been 'done' for about a day, or so, but I felt like it was still missing something. It just seemed to plain. I had gotten this roll of American Crafts black velvet ric rac at the stamp store the other day, and had been playing with it somewhere else on the layout (which was later ripped up), and put it down on the patterened paper, and bam, it hit me, just put it on there and it may add that little extra bam. And, wouldn't you know it, it did. :) I just used mini glue dots to lay the ric rac down, and cut it to fit. :)


So here is the last photo for this layout and you may say that I everything and the 'kitchen sink' so to say, here.

So, my kitchen sink? That would be the packaging from the Making Memories brads that we got in the July kit. It's there, I promise, under the green Cosmo Cricket patterened paper. :) And I tore one of the journaling stickers (from Making Memories) in half (it had a plane on the other side, and that didn't go with my layout).
So there it is, my layout with about a gazillion techniques to them. LOL. Oh, and the quote that I used...it's from a Subaru commercial. I found it to be fitting with the map paper from Making Memories. :D
Here's hoping that you have had a wonderful Wed and are enjoying your Thursday! :D

5 comments:

Jana Eubank said...

Molly, you are amazing! I've always wanted to look over your shoulder as you scrap and this is just about the closest thing! :D Thanks for giving us an insight to your beautiful scrapping mind and all of these gorgeous techniques! Hugs! Jana

Ryzmomplus2 said...

amazing layout Molly! Just beautiful! Great job!

Vanessa, Florida, USA said...

Beautiful Molly!!! Love your work and all the details that went into this layout. Awesome :-) TFS!

Debbi Tehrani said...

Just gorgeous, Molly, as always! Thanks for sharing all the techniques you talked about!

jamie said...

fun stuff...love it all! i was saving that mm packaging too to use on a layout...how great of mm to let us be green with our scrapping? how scrappy is that?
thanks so much for sharing all that ya did!