Thursday, October 30, 2008

Not a Halloween post.

I know. Shameful, isn't it? I should be inspiring you to do something last minute and all--and here I am, packing Christmas kits. For those of you coming to the Bertram Inn, this would be the contents of the "31 Days of Christmas" acrylic album class...And since I've been so productive, I thought I'd share my FAVORITE recipe with you all. We had this very meal last night and I promised Damaris I'd post it...

Whenever I'm asked about my favorite food, I always say "brisket" much to the amazement of others. I love it. Seriously. And if you have not had it, you MUST try it. If not for you, for someone you love. Why, you ask?
1. Any recipe in a crockpot with 4 ingredients is a good thing.
2. People will think you did something spectacular, when in fact it is totally easy peasy.
3. It smells like heaven.
4. It is made from the same slice of meat as corned beef (only it's soaked in salt water to make it "corned")--That tidbit may make you the winner in a trivia game someday, you never know...
5. When everyone and their brother is ordering pizza for dinner on Friday, you can serve this instead and walk it off when you take your kids door to door!!

Okay, so you get the idea. I love brisket.

Ingredients:
1 big ass brisket (yes, my recipe card actually says that) 4-5 lbs.
1 can of beer
1 envelope of Lipton dry onion soup mix (or use your own rub if you want to get "fancy")
1/4c. oil

Put it all in a crock pot, with the fat side up on the meat, and slow cook this baby for at least 8-10 hours. If you want to throw in potatoes or onions or carrots, do it 4-5 hours into the cooking time, and you can have a whole meal finished.

When you pull the meat out of the crock pot, let it sit on a plate for at least 20 minutes so the juice in the meat settles. We serve ours with bbq sauce, but you don't have to. We rarely have leftovers, but if you do, it makes a GREAT sandwich on a bun the next day!!

I promise you--you won't be sorry. :)

Have a great day!!

11 comments:

Jen said...

How can you make a piece of meat looks so appealing? And thanks for reminding me to take my joint out of the freezer; I had actually planned on making this for tomorrow night! Great minds think alike.

Candace H said...

Yum! My kids have been wanting a crock pot meal! Wonder if our meat dept. carries "BA Briskets", LOL! Thanks for keeping us fed and creative, Trish!

Anonymous said...

Definitely making that brisket!!

Can't wait to get a better look at the 31 days album!! Only 2 weeks and a day till the retreat!

Jewel said...

Ok, now you are really making me feel jealous that I can't come to your retreat. Those albums look like they are going to be adorable!

You are the 2nd person recently that said they love brisket. I never have had it so now I am going to have to try it. Thanks for the recipe.

pickmepam said...

ooohhh....i'm lovin' both of these things! and here i was thinking pizza! not anymore baby!

jamie said...

man THAT looks good!!! yes, you can't not try brisket. i once did not believe, and now i am a believer.
and i am soooooo jealous about that retreat you all get to go to...

borcherding said...

YUMMY!!!!!!!!!! I am so gonna try that! I LOVE cooking with my crockpot. I just came home from work yesterday and walked into my kitchen smelling my potatoe soup that was cooking all day. YUM!! peace and blessings...

Colleen said...

there are so many reasons why i love you, but the fact that you have a recipe card that calls for a big ass brisket...that just makes me start a new list

Heather said...

Yummmers....for both those kits and the brisket! I love using the crock pot and am always looking for something that my boys might actually try. This looks mighty tasty!

Rita said...

Hey Girl....you sound like you belong in Texas!!! Gotta love brisket,it's a staple food down here:-)

LisaNRoxy said...

Wahoo! I see my Christmas kit right there on your table Trish!! :) I hope you have extras!
can't wait for the DT reveal today. Happy Halloween!