Saturday, December 13, 2008

Edible Snowmen

I know I posted this last year, but it bears repeating. I have made these for years, and it is a holiday tradition that is worth the time and effort. I hope you give it a try!!
First, you will want to make these in assembly line format. No sense in buying all the stuff to make one! I usually make them 8 at a time. You will need firm (not soft) popcorn balls, 8" lollipop sticks, 6" cello bags, decorative ribbon, white chocolate, 5" snowman hats (found in the doll making section of your local craft store), milk chocolate chips, Bugles, orange chocolate, Fruit by the Foot roll ups and pipe cleaner or decorative garland for the hat.

Before you begin, decorate the hats with garland, poke a hole for the stick to go through at the top of the hat and set aside.

Next, melt the orange chocolate for the Bugles and hand-dip several Bugles for the noses. Place on a waxed paper lined cookie sheet and place in the refrigerator to harden.

Now, unroll a roll up and place them on a cookie sheet like below. I make an open circle and then form the "scarf" into shape.
Now, melt your white chocolate (I do mine in the microwave, but you can also use a double broiler.) Stir. Place the stick into the popcorn ball while it is still in the bag, so the ball stays in tact...
Next, place the ball into the chocolate and coat it. Drag off any extra chocolate with a spatula.
Place the chocolate covered ball onto the fruit roll up, stick up. The scarf will give it stability.
Next, slide the hat over the top, making sure the stick goes through the hole you placed. Add two eyes and then a mouth like so...
As the chocolate begins to set, place the Bugle into place. If it begins to slide, brace it with a Dixie cup or smaller object.
Place the tray into the refrigerator to harden at least 15 minutes. Once they're finished, bag them and tie with a decorative bow.
Enjoy making these!!

9 comments:

Tami said...

These are AWESOME!! Thanks for sharing it again because I didn't see it last year ;)

Ady said...

You make it sound so easy to do... We made 40 last year... Never again... LOL

Liway said...

These are super cute!! I love the fruit leather scarvs!! :-)

Ryzmomplus2 said...

Always the cutest ideas from you!

Sharyn said...

these are wonderful! I'll have to see if we can get some made this year!! thanks for sharing!

Damaris said...

he,hee,hee...memories my friend...memories...I think Ady is still traumatized!!!! LOL
HUGS

Jana Eubank said...

I STILL want to make these! They are the cutest EVAH!

Anonymous said...

Gracias Trish, I wanted to look this one up and you made it easier for me! Love these, can't wait to try making them.

Kelli W said...

So cute! I love the bugle nose!