Sunday, March 15, 2009

We're goin' GREEN!!

I'm gearing up for one of my favorite days of the year...St. Patrick's Day!! The weather looks wonderful for the big parade downtown tomorrow, and I'll be there with bells on...

Are you ready? Here are a few ideas to get you motivated...

I bagged green m&m's and used a mini clothespin to keep them shut at the top, and then I adhered a die cut (cut with the Cricut cart Paper Dolls) to the clothespin. These are going to one of my kid's schools...
We made green sugar cookies and then boxed them up like this. We used pop dots to make the shamrock stand out a little more (and kids love playing with pop dots...)
Got these wooden shamrock containers from Pat Catan's and we filled them with Rolos. I love how the gold foil makes it look festive!!
HAD to make these--an absolute favorite in this house...

Chocolate Mint Cookies
1 Package Devil's Food Cake Mix
1 Cup chocolate chips
2 eggs
1/2 C oil
1 box of Andes Mints

Combine first 4 ingredients. Batter will be a bit lumpy. Place on ungreased cookie sheet by the spoonful. Bake at 350 for 7-9 minutes. When the cookies come out of the oven, place the mint on top of the cookie and let them cool. Swirl with a knife for a finishing touch, and enjoy!

Super Easy Corned Beef

3-4 lb Corned Beef Roast
1 Cup Brown Sugar
1 8 oz. can of beer (I use Guinness--St. Patty's Day and all...)

Take your roast out of the package, rinse and pat dry. Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees. In a dutch oven, place roast fat side up. Rub brown sugar over the top and bottom. Carefully pour beer over the top of the beef to moisten the sugar. It will bubble up. Place the lid on the dutch oven and bake for 2-3 hours. Let the meat stand for 10 minutes before cutting. Slice across the grain for thin slices. Delish!!

Did you know that corned beef and brisket are the same cut of meat? Corned beef simply means it has soaked in a brine (salt water bath.) No wonder I love it! Also, be sure to to get a flat cut instead of a point--it will bake evenly.

Don't forget to dye all your food green. Oatmeal, yogurt, eggs, milkshakes, drinks--you name it!! I plan on placing dye into the toilet bowl this year to see if anyone notices...

My son who is in kindergarten had a task of creating a leprechaun catcher as a class project. You know, I hear that if you catch those buggers, they have to share their gold!! The teacher asked us to help explain how they always "get away" and parents have willingly provided miniature clothing, potatoes, coin candy, gold dust or notes. He's going to love it...

More ideas here and here...

Feel free to comment and share any you may have as well!!

5 comments:

jamie said...

cute ideas, trish. you are just all that!

borcherding said...

OMG!! First of all....I WON??!! I guess I should have checked the blog FIRST before emailing you to let you know that you sent me a shipping notice by mistake! LOL!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU and WOOHOO!!!!!!

Secondly, I LOVE those St.Pat's ideas!! The decor and food OH MY!! I am DEFINITELY going to try those mint cookies - those look YUMMY!! And so does the corn beef! MMMMMM..............
Thank you so much Trish!! Not only for the prize but all of your wonderful, amazing ideas!!!

Ryzmomplus2 said...

Love all these St Pats ideas! and I LOVE those mint cookies! Now I have the recipe!! Can't wait to try that corned beef too!

Jewel said...

I HAVE to try the mint cookie recipe - yummy! You would think I would be sick on mint cookies after Girl Scout cookie time.

Colleen said...

another great thing to do is make thin mint cupcakes with a chocolate batter, then frost with a mint buttercream. YUM YUM YUM. just put the chocolate cookie in the bottom of the cupcake liner and then fill with batter like you would any other cupcake.