Thursday, December 17, 2009

Glass Etching

Good Morning Crafty friends! Laina here today. Today I would like to share a gift I am making for many of my family members. Here is my tutorial for making an etched glass vase.

Materials:
Contact paper or adhesive vinyl (any color will do)
Blue delicate painters tape (I used 3"wide for this project)
Glass Vase
Craft knife












1.Making a mask for the etching creme is the first step.Adhere a piece of contact paper to the cutting mat of your diecutting machine.

2. Cut desired shape with machine. You want the blade to cut only through the first layer of the contact paper, NOT all the way through to the backing.

3. I use the following settings on my Cricut: blade-2 speed-1 pressure-3 (I would try this out on a small scrap of contact first)

4. Leave the contact paper on the mat. The next step is called weeding. Using a craft knife, gently pull out the design area that you want to be etched, leaving the rest of the contact paper exactly where it is. Throw this part away - you won't be needing it.


5. Remove your contact paper with the backing still on from the cutting mat. Cut your mask down to a smaller size, about 1/2" from the outer edge of the design.


6. Next, take strips of your blue tape and cover the top of your mask (yes, right over the top of your beautiful design.) The blue tape helps us transfer our design to the vase. The contact paper would be too flimsy and hard to apply alone. Plus your design stays centered.



7. Now take the backing off of the contact paper to expose the sticky back of the contact paper mask.


8. Put the sticky mask down on your vase where you want the design to be etched. Rub lightly over the top to remove any bubbles and to make sure the contact paper is really attached to the glass.


9. Now we want to GENTLY and SLOWLY pull off those layers of blue tape. I start at one corner and pull at a 45 degree angle. If you start to pull up your contact mask, just push it back down and and peel the tape while holding the mask down. Your mask should now be applied to the vase exactly where you wanted it.


10. Generously apply etching creme to the open areas of the mask with an old paint brush. The bottle said to let it sit for 5, I think 15 or 20 is better. After the time is up, take the vase to the sink and rinse off all the creme with water.

11. Remove contact paper mask and dry your vase. Finished!



It may seem like a lot of steps, but I assure you it is not hard and anyone can do this! If you don't have a diecutting machine, you can buy premade masks at craft stores. I am going to fill my vases with pretty flat marbles and hopefully (time is running out on me) some handmade origami flowers.


If you have any questions, please let me know!
Laina

7 comments:

Trish said...

You work that Cricut like nobody's business!! Love your blocks--they're beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

This is a great gift. Can I ask what cartridge you used for the cricket?

Laina Lamb said...

I actually didn't use a cartridge. I used SCAL. I don't Cricut without it.

Ryzmomplus2 said...

What a wonderful gift and great idea!

jamie said...

that's beautiful laina. i have often been intriged by the process. you make it look so easy! thanks for the post!

Michelle said...

Thanks so much Laina for the tutorial! I had bought a bunch of glass vases, wine glasses, and glass bowls to etch using contact paper but I couldn't find intructions or blade depth to keep the backing on the contact paper! Finding your tutorial was a life saver cause these are supposed to be Christmas presents and I haven't started cause I was worried about ruining them! I now feel ready to conquer my fear and etch the day away! THANKS!

Milliscent Morgan said...

Receiving etched glass is a great feeling for me especially if there's something inside the jar. Kidding even just a well made etched glass is really good enough for me.