Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Storypeople

If you haven't been properly introduced to Storypeople, it's time you got to know them.

Several years ago, while poking around a shop in Rehoboth Beach, I stumbled across this book:


I immediately fell in love with Brian Andreas and his whimsical--and very wise--Storypeople. Rather than me try to explain who these Storypeople are, I'll let them tell you themselves. Head over to the Storypeople site and meet them. You'll want to visit the Storyland link on the left first (click brows--I like to browse randomly), but let me warn you, after you've met Brian Andreas's Storypeople, you'll find yourself heading to the Things to Buy tab.

So what does any of this have to do with scrapbooking? I've used his stories on many, many pages. I have this book of silly photos, where I pair quotes with the pictures, and the Storypeople stories are the perfect whimsical addition to these pages. Here's the opening page to one of my Books of Silly:


And here are a few pages from inside that album:






Disclaimer: He's not really naked. Just looks that way!


Not all of the Storypeople are so silly. Here are a few of my favorites non-silly ones:

You're the strangest person I ever met, she said & I said you too & we decided we'd know each other a long time.

They came to sit & dangle their feet off the edge of the world & after awhile they forgot everything but the good & true things they would do someday. 

When I first met her, I knew in a moment I would have to spend the next few days re-arranging my mind so there'd be room for her to stay.

Time stands still best in moments that look suspiciously like ordinary life.


She said she usually cried at least once each day not because she was sad, but because the world was so beautiful & life was so short.

Most people don't know there are angels whose only job is to make sure you don't get too comfortable & fall asleep & miss your life.

Are you a princess? I said & she said I'm much more than a princess, but you don't have a name for it yet here on earth.

I carry you with me into the world, into the smell of rain & the words that dance between people & for me, it will always be this way, walking in the light, remembering being alive together

She laid on my chest & her breathing filled me almost to beyond what I could hold
 
The first time her laughter unfurled its wings in the wind, we knew that the world would never be the same.
 
There are so many more stories. I collect them in a file on my computer, and I have all of his books--just got his two latest ones for Christmas.
 
Here is a layout I just made using the January WIP kit (sorry for the crummy photo--weather forcedme to take it indoors. Those are my husband's and my feet. I got him shoes for Christmas to match mine.
 
 
If you've never met Storypeople before today, I am very happy to have introduced you to them!
 

9 comments:

Rita said...

Those quotes are so good! I'm off to check out Storypeople.........

Christy said...

I'd forgotten about Storypeople! Thanks for the reminder. :)

jamie said...

very funny and whimsical indeed. thanks for the insight!

BabyBokChoy said...

I have used his quotes before but never before really heard about storypeople, thank you debbi

Tami said...

oh debbi, thank you, thank you, thank you for sharing this . . . I LOVE IT . . . this is SO inspiring . . . as I read each quote a vision of a layout came to mind!!!! This is great!

Darlene S. said...

This is soooo fun! I laughed at each layout with the hilarious photos and journaling. I should so do a silly book! So creative!

Anonymous said...

ha ha, love the quotes & what a cool idea incorporating them in your layouts. love that!

Jessica Theodore said...

Never heard of them before but thanks for the introduction, love these quotes it defienatly sounds like something I'd like :)

FiKenward said...

As always Deb, your scrapping is never short of amazing and inspiring. I've never heard either of Story people so will also be going to check it out further.