Monday, December 5, 2011

Pottery Barn Glitter Santa Canvas

A few years back, Pottery Barn had this beautiful canvas in their holiday catalog, listed for over $150. I know this because my friend Jen coveted it, but didn't want to pay that price for one.
So Jen, being an art teacher at a local high school, took the catalog to work and used her overhead projector to transpose the image onto a blank canvas, and painted her own.

Here is her result...
This photo does not do it justice, believe me.

So, what do friends do?  Copy and lift ideas from one another, no?  I jumped at the chance to spend an evening with her this weekend to dive into the exact same project.  Here it is, step by step.
 Here is my 20" x 30" canvas, with pencil lines drawn from the overhead projector.  It really doesn't look like much of anything, huh?

She instructed me to paint the canvas in specific spots, and I did so with the Martha Stewart silver metallic paint.  (I have to say--neither one of us are big fans of the paint.  To get total coverage, it requires several layers of paint.  I didn't have the time or the patience for that.  Luckily, it doesn't have to be a solid or heavy coat.)  I made several minor mistakes, but was instructed to keep moving on, and to not get hung up on little details.

After the painting was completely dry, she handed me a bottle of Elmer's glue and a big bottle of glitter.  She told me to paint over the metallic spots with glue, then glitter those spots.
I'm not sure if you can tell from this photo or from others, but a 20x30 canvas isn't little.  Trying to keep the glitter from going all over the place was nearly impossible.  This is why I fully encourage you to do this over your friend's house, not your own.  :)  Thanks, Jen.
She's one smart cookie.  She also advised me to transport it home in a big garbage bag, so it didn't get all over my van.  Thanks again, Jen.
Once I got it home, I took the liberty to take it outside and give it a good few taps on the back, to knock off as much residual glitter as possible.
I just love how it turned out.  It just shimmers in the sunlight.  And at night, the reflection of the tree lights makes it glisten, too.
I can't wait to make at least 120 more of them!!

Thanks for the inspiration, Jen.  I love you, girl!
Enjoy your day!

14 comments:

Tami said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tami said...

Hi Trish! Oh how beautiful this looks! Can I have one of the 120 you will be making, when, this afternoon is it? LoL!

Gina M said...

This turned out beautiful! Just my kind of project!

Marge said...

WOW!!! That looks fabulous!! Messy to make, but fabulous!!! ;)

Deb said...

That's a fantastic handmade piece that's sure to be a beautiful Christmas decor focal point for years to come!

Anonymous said...

Where did she get the original picture to trace from? Is it the one in the pottery barn catalog? I just can't believe how gorgeous yours is. I'm going to have to make one. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.
Cindy B.

Trish said...

Cindy--the first pic is the one we used, and it is also the one found from their catalog (2009, I believe). You should totally do it!

pickmepam said...

so very cool! i love this and am bound to be one of the 120 recipients! lol!

Thomaschrishan said...

Wrapped canvas make a great gift. Zazzle offers a wide range of canvas, which cover any topic, from weddings to food. Some of them you can customize, others are just nice to play for your home or office.

Midwest Scrapbook

FiKenward said...

What a great idea, canvas prints can be so expensive, yours turned out beautifully.

Tara said...

Gorgeous!!!

Mrs_Christmas said...

I don't have access to a projector. Have they thought about creating templates and mailing them out for a nominal fee?

Deb said...

http://www.bowerpowerblog.com/2010/12/easy-mr-claus/

Linda C said...

I thought I was the only one who did this ;-) If you don't have a projector but have a spreadsheet program, you can copy & paste a clipart image into cell A1. Set that single cell as the area to print, and then customize the paper size to be the same size as your canvas, e.g. mine was 30"x30". For a big canvas, it meant the image printed on about 12 pieces of paper. I matched them up like puzzle pieces, taped them together, then rubbed chalk all over the back of the now-big image. I put the paper with the image on the canvas that I'd painted (paint completely dry), traced around the edges of the clipart image, and now I had the outline on the canvas like a faint colouring book page. It seems like a lot of steps, but it worked really well (including when I painted a "Picasso" instead of going with a print). "Paint" with glue, tap on some glitter and have fun for an afternoon.