Monday, February 6, 2012

I am Carol's Daughter.


(Photo of my mom and my son's hands--Instagram)

At 44 years of age, I have now had several reminders that I am, in fact, my mother's daughter.  I forget my children's names when I'm trying to gain their attention.  I make up words when I can't remember the one I'm looking for in mid-sentence.  I flare my nose when I get angry.  Look, I'll take it--all of it--because she's a wonderful lady.  Salt of the earth, that one.  I can only hope to be half the woman my mother is someday.

This weekend, I was reminded that I was like her in another way.

Saturday evening, I was at my friend Jen's house.  We had just finished eating a lovely dinner, and we were settling in to scrap the evening away.  Her son was upstairs sleeping off a ski trip, and she excused herself upstairs to change into her pj's.  There I was, all alone in her awesome scrapbook room, all by my lonesome. 

So her scrapbook room has wooden floors and two nice office chairs.  You know--the big heavy ones that tilt and swivel and roll, with arms and everything.  I was sitting in one of those lovely chairs, and I bent over to reach down for a pair of scissors.  And it happened.  Right then and there, it happened.

The chair flew up behind me.  I found myself on all fours, my face in my scrapbook bag.  The chair landed on my back.  Paper and stickers flew.  For the love of God and all things holy--this happened in the blink of an eye, with a thud that was probably heard 3 doors down.  Don't ask me why--but this struck me as funny.  Like, CRAZY funny.   And I couldn't stop laughing.  You know--laughing to the point of hyperventilating and snorting to gain air laughing.  And I couldn't stop.

And in my efforts to get said chair off my back, I wedged myself under her scrapbook table.  So I was stuck.  Stuck, I tell you, like I've never been stuck before.  I'm lucky to be typing this blog post right now, my hand to God.

So I hear someone coming, and for some reason, I find this even funnier.  I try to mutter, "HELP!", but nothing came out.  I removed my glasses because tears had been streaming down my face, so I couldn't see that well.  But I had noticed that her son Ethan ran down the stairs to check out that noise, panned the area, didn't see me pinned underneath the desk, and went back upstairs.

And on that note, I started laughing even harder.


Thank God there was no video of this.  I mean, THANK. GOD.  Seriously, my amazing fortune that Jen was upstairs, because you know there would've been pictures of the scene, for this I am sure.  Pardon my French here, but the last thing you or I need is to be scarred by photos of my big ass pinned under a table.  I'm keeping it real here, folks.  And that's what friends are for, right?  The experience was bad enough in itself--I didn't need to be blackmailed by the bestie.  (For the record here, I totally would've photographed her if the situation was reversed--ha!)


By the time Jen came down in her comfy clothes, I managed to get myself out of my hellish situation.  But I couldn't explain what happened for another 5 minutes, because as soon as I would catch my breath from laughing, something would tickle me about this visual of me under the table, and I would start laughing hysterically all over again.

The rest of the evening, I kept one foot on the floor at all times, while gripping the table top whenever the chair moved slightly.  Yeah.  Pretty much scarred me.  Crazy-ass demonic chair.  Again, pardon my French.

Re-reading this, I'm wondering if I hit my head.

I do not care about the bruise on my knee or the sharp pain I have when I turn to the left.  The mental scars are far worse for me.  Again--I'm just thankful there was no video or photographs of my graceful episode, and that I was the only one there to bear witness.  Oh. My. Word.

Thank you, Mom, for showing me by example that it is wonderful to laugh at yourself with reckless abandon, and to be yourself.  Thank you for your humility, your wisdom, and your silliness, and for seeking that out in others.

Thank you for laughing with me when I repeated this story at breakfast, even when I had to stop and gain my composure because I still found it as funny this morning.   

And thank you for saying, "My Lord, you really are just like me!"

Someone, warn my daughter.

Enjoy your day!

11 comments:

Amy said...

Oh Lord, I wish I had been there. And I bet your readers do too!
It's a beautiful thing to be able to laugh at yourself. I remember my mom falling off a chair in slow in Wendy's when she leaned over to pick up her napkins. Probably in my future......

Rita said...

You just made my morning!!! I've had moments like that too, and laughter is the best medicine!!!

BabyBokChoy said...

Such a bummer that there was NO photo of this hilarious anecdote!!! lol.

Deb said...

Thanks, Trish, for this delightful post that stirred wonderful memories for me. I am the spitting image of my mother--there was no way she could ever deny me--and during the 20 years she's been gone, I've come to realize beyond the uncanny physical resemblance, I am very much like her in so very many ways, some more desirable than others, of course, but all are a glimpse back to my Mother-Love, who was my dearest earthly friend. So, cherish it and claim it, as I do, when someone mentions, "My goodness, you are so much like your mom"--knowing it's one of the greatest compliments we lucky daughters can ever receive (and your daughter will feel that way one day too, I'm sure!). :)

Carrie said...

Love it! Trish your honesty, as always, is refreshing. Great story and great way to think of your mom!

Anonymous said...

Oh I love when things happen that make me laugh like that! And I too would be happy that there was no camera in sight. My BFF and I would totally have taken pictures of each other if the same thing had happened to us!

thanks for the smile today!
Amy om OKC

Heather said...

omg!! that this story is hilarious!!! I can soo totally see this happening! I have a chair just like that at work...and it rolls mighty nicely on the tile floor. I always make sure to grab the desk and the chair when I sit because I could so totally see it happening to me. It actually did once, and the first thing I did was check the security camera monitor next to my desk to make sure it wasn't filmed...Thank God it wasn't ;)

pickmepam said...

omg, i love, love, love laughing so much that when you stop, you start again and can't stop. i haven't had one of those in years, so i am happy to live via yours. thanks.

Krista Nash said...

Too funny! Glad you weren't hurt but am bummed your friend wasn't there to snap a picture. )

Yettiebug said...

Thank you for this post! I was having such a rough day. 6 year old giving me troubles all day, 4 year old has kept me up for 4 nights while we were out of town with an earache (Headed to the dr as we speak), and the 2 year old, well just being a two year old. So you can see how my day was going. Well your post brought me a much needed laugh and lifted my mood. I am just as clumsy so I can really relate to you.

Sanzpqkk said...

Thank you for this post! I was having such a rough day. 6 year old giving me troubles all day, 4 year old has kept me up for 4 nights while we were out of town with an earache (Headed to the dr as we speak), and the 2 year old, well just being a two year old. So you can see how my day was going. Well your post brought me a much needed laugh and lifted my mood. I am just as clumsy so I can really relate to you.