Monday, August 13, 2012

String Art

Remember the String Art projects from when you were a kid? I took one look at Amy Tangerine's Summer CHA booth display, and I knew I had to try one on a HUGE scale. So I went to work...

I got a 48" sheet of 1/4" thick finished ply wood at Home Depot, and traced letters out by hand, using a pencil and eraser with a yardstick.  Yes, I free-handed a lot of the work.  But honestly, it was totally doable, and I know many of you could just as easily do this project!!


After all the letters were traced, I started inserting the nails, about an inch apart.  It was FUN.  Nothing perfect--just enough to hold string.  I placed an old sheet of foam core underneath the wood, so it wouldn't scratch up my table...


Here's how it started out.  And...

Here's the finished project.  Thanks so much to Monika Wright, for her particularly brilliant light bulb idea!  I love how it turned out.  On to more words!  Stay tunded!

2 comments:

Monika Wright | I Love It All said...

This project is just so inspiring in so many ways. I have been thinking and thinking what word to use once I try out this crafty idea. I love the way you acted upon your idea and didn't just let it sit in the back of your mind thinking you would do it one day. You just did it, and it turned out wonderfully!

Keianna said...

Such a great idea.