Friday, September 3, 2010

Kits Have Feelings Too

After I emailed my September projects to Trish, I sat back and admired them (I know, so embarrassing) in my online email account. Then I noticed some interesting coincidence amongst my four layouts.  EVERY layout is about garden, gardening, harvesting from garden, picking from garden!  I didn't set out to do four garden related layouts and yet there they are!  That's when I realized that kits have feelings too!  This one felt like vegetables, flowers, earthy, homey, calm, serene and it called out to me and apparently I heard its call!  So yeah, no crazy 3-year old's faces or school layouts, it's a discussion between me and my 100% organic gardens... hmm... humm... hmmm...

This year, we are getting a great crop of cantaloupes!  They are getting to be the size you see at a grocery store, only when we pick them off the vine, they are fully ripe, juicy, and full of flavors!  I don't even like cantaloupes but I eat the ones from our gardens.

In this layout, I first cut up some clouds from Cosmo Cricket's "All a flutter." Then I stamped some sentiments from a My Favorite Things set "Clearly Sentimental about Gardens." I stacked the clouds onto each other using 3-d adhesives: foam squares.  To add some variation to the rectangles on the layout, I used three circles to break down the monotony. Besides, cantaloupes are round or roundish, so some circles on the layout can only help my theme.  I used a deep edge punch by Martha to create some fences on the left hand side.  Layering the punched piece over the Kaiser square pieces make it look ever more like the garden fence :)  One last note of interest, I printed my journaling onto patterned paper and then I matted it with cardstock just like I did the two photos. I hope this brings cohesion to the center pieces of my layout. 

So there you have it, a little bit about my garden and a little bit about my design process.  Some of that is in the subconscious as this kit called to me and related its feelings, lol.  The result is relatively delicious, figuratively and literally, since that cantaloupe in the photo, had been eaten already :) yum...

3 comments:

Debbi Tehrani said...

What an interesting notion! I think I got a "feeling" from this kit, too because almost all my layouts are childhood memory pages.

Trish said...

SO funny you mentioned this!! All of my layouts were boy related this month, and I didn't notice it until I read this post! Strange how they lead you in a direction, huh?

Aubree said...

I could not agree more that papers just have a "feel" to them.

I can never get enough of your "garden layouts" -- we scrap what we love, and clearly, in addition to your girls, you love your garden. Besides, your layouts may just inspire me to plant a garden again!