Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Defined by a word

As some of you may know this weekend I am running the Chicago marathon. This will be my first full marathon and I am both excited and nervous, to say the least...

Lately I've been reflecting back on how I got here, and I thought I would share.

I began running just over two years ago with some urging from my daughter to try out the treadmill at the gym. Who would have known it would soon change my life?

But this year, along with my running, what also made a difference for me was choosing a word to define my year. Ali Edwards does it every year, and I had no idea just how powerful it could be.

The word I chose to define my year was CHALLENGE, and I have challenged myself to try new things and to see the world anew. It taught me to push myself harder and I changed in ways I never thought possible!
Here I am with my daughter and two friends at The Air Force half marathon in September

Now instead of saying I can't do that, I say why can't I do that? It has even helped me through those stressful challenges of life...

So as my running calendar slows my challenge is to shift gears to my creative side. I'm looking forward to creating some new challenges in the final months of 2011, and look forward to another word for 2012.

Did you challenge yourself this year?

3 comments:

borcherding said...

Tina, KUDDOS to you on running the Chicago marathon. I just completed my second 5K and was pretty happy with that. LOL! I felt really good at the race and I thought "dang, maybe I should have signed up for the 10K instead!" That doesn't mean I LOVE to run but I'm willing to admit that maybe, just maybe, I could challenge myself to run farther (I won't say faster cause I'm not speed lightning). Anyway, thanks for such a great post today because it really resonated with me.. BEST of luck with your marathon!! That is something that I am not sure I could ever do...but, a half DOES seem like a challenge I might have to accept next year. :-)

Trish said...

GO TINA!! So proud of you, my friend! You'll be GREAT--I know it! Enjoy every moment! xo

Debbi Tehrani said...

Wow, Tina! You are awesome for doing this! I admire you so much!