Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Cooler Corn

Had to share this awesome idea...
(copied directly from Pinterest, with no direct link to a blog or site--sorry!)
SO Cool!! Am I the only person who hasn't heard of "cooler corn"? As an obsessive food nerd, you'd expect that I would have at least heard of it, but over the weekend I was blind-sided by the simple genius of this method for cooking loads of corn on the cob perfectly. I was hepped to it while visiting my family in Maine . Short story: We like corn on the cob. And with eight adults at the table, that means a couple of dozen ears. We would have used the lobster pot to cook them all, but the lobster pot was busy steaming lobster. Then my sister, a capable Maine cook with years of camping experience, says "let's do cooler corn!" Before I can ask "what the hell is cooler corn?" a Coleman cooler appears from the garage, is wiped clean, then filled with the shucked ears. Next, two kettles-full of boiling water are poured over the corn and the top closed. Then nothing. When we sat down to dinner 30 minutes later and opened it, the corn was perfectly cooked. My mind was blown. And I'm told that the corn will remain at the perfect level of doneness for a couple of hours. Turns out, Cooler Corn is pretty well known among the outdoorsy set but for those of us who avoid tents as much as possible, it's perfect for large barbecues and way less of mess than grilling. In fact, I may even buy another cooler just so I'm ready for next summer. Now that I'm in the know.       

Wow.  I'm SO doing this!!

Enjoy your day!            

8 comments:

Melinda said...

Great idea! I never knew, :D thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

I'm from that area and I have never done cooler corn

Anonymous said...

But I will soon!! Thanks

Marge said...

holy moly....who knew!! We'll be using this to cook corn for 30 this summer in the mountains....may need two coolers!! :)

Marge said...

holy moly....who knew!! We'll be using this to cook corn for 30 this summer in the mountains....may need two coolers!! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks Trish! We are big BBQ people back home in Missouri! Can't wait to go back home and try this! --evilwoman

Jewel said...

Ok, I am totally blown away. I have never heard of cooler corn before and half of my family lives on a farm and they grow corn! Can't wait to try it this summer when we are home for a family reunion.

Jill said...

This is simply brilliant! Thanks so much. Have a summer party here in IL that just might include some "cooler corn".