Thursday, May 3, 2012

New Mantlescape (Part 1)

I know it is Spring. But face it--my mind is slowly drifting to summer. Only 5 weeks before school is out around here!! So this past week, I did a little mantlescape that should last me well into the Summer...

I started out with two empty frames that I had on hand, purchased at garage sales.  For the larger frame, I hung thin wire as a "clothesline" for my pennants.  I used the papers from the May Project Kit, and went to town.

I altered a few of the pennants, using black and white photos from our recent vacay to the beach.  I hung them with plain mini clothes pins.  It took less than an hour.  I didn't over-analyze it, and just played...

The smaller white frame was perfect for framing a torn and wrinkled map my son had in his closet.  I used foam core to back it so it wasn't flimsy.  Next, I found an unused part of a transparency, and simply placed it along side the map.  Easy peasy!

Next, I added a few more beachy items.  I found the blue coral at Home Goods.  Some of the shells were purchased at the Dollar Store.  Others we got while on vacation.  A lovely mix of all things beachy...

And to add more of a statement to the focal point in our room, I continued the theme on the hearth of the fireplace.  In the evenings, flameless candles will flicker and provide the ambiance we want without heat.
Enjoy your day!!

3 comments:

priscilla said...

Love the banner in the frame ! great idea!

Gina M said...

Just beautiful. You have a great eye for making a pleasing arrangement without over-doing it!

Marge said...

could you just come "do" my house? Please?! :)