Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The end of the school year...

...is coming to a close. My daughter has a week of school left, and she'll be out for summer! I love her teachers, and so I lifted this idea from Tina and took her candy bar poem, printed it out, and will be handing these out at school tomorrow along with gift cards...Here is a copy of the candy bar poem she wrote:
Throughout the school year you have been a LIFESAVER,
And that's nothing to SNICKER about.
You've had to deal with TWIX from students acting like 3 Musketeers,
but you have always RIESEN to the occasion.
Although there were many days you thought you'd lost your SKITTLES
or felt like an AIRHEAD with all you had to do
an d the accidents caused by your
BUTTERFINGERS.
I’m sure were GOOD N PLENTY.
So while the PAYDAYS are probably not
100 GRAND,
its time for you to TAKE 5 and rest your WHATCHAMACALLIT.
Thank you for all you do. And whether you go
across the country and down to 5th AVENUE,
We hope your summer is EXTRA special!!!
And I have been meaning to share this, but didn't get around to photographing it until today. While a ton of people are celebrating high school graduations, we celebrated our son's pre-K graduation two weeks ago. I made him a little mini album and it was incredibly quick and easy!

Ingredients include: 3 sheets of patterned paper (I used Karen Foster--old stuff), three sheets of Karen Foster graduation stickers (you know, the cheesy ones that say graduation stuff all over--see the photo for an example.), two sheets of cardstock, black ink, stapler, black paper clips, scrap ribbon, and a 6x6 Bazzill black mini book (that you could totally make yourself if you had a long-reach stapler!)

I got the above stickers this past week--but some of the stickers I used was from the old Karen Foster stuff...
Made me happy to use some stash! Totally quick and easy--less than 2 hours to finish.
I am still waiting on a few pics from Costco...


But I wanted to write down a few of the things that were special about the celebration. And he happens to love it and shows it to anyone who is willing to look...





My deepest sympathies go out to you moms out there who are making the BIG grad albums...I can't imagine!

Enjoy your Wednesday everyone!

7 comments:

Jewel said...

Trish, what a cute mini album! Thanks for the idea. We just celebrated my son's pre-K grad too and I have been wondering what I wanted to do with the photos - don't have to wonder anymore! Aren't those little graduation caps too cute?

Vanessa, Florida, USA said...

What an adorable mini album! That's such a great idea... Your son must be showing it off to everyone :-)

Paula Clare said...

Hi Trish,
What an adorable album! I only wish my "baby" was graduating from Kindergarten...or even high school! I am 2 years + from the empty nest and don't like it one bit better than I did the week that he moved out...

I'm now going with other "soon-to-be-empty-nesters" and helping them through THEIR children's graduations! So I'm reliving the anguish vicariously...argh! Such is the life of a counselor...occupational hazard I suppose!

Damaris said...

HEY MY FRIEND:
TALK ABOUT FEELING SORRY..HOW ABOUT DOING 24 MINI ALBUMS FOR MY LITTLE GIRLS CLASSROOM. PLEASE, SEND ALL THE PITY YOU CAN MUSTER MY WAY! lol...I LOVED YOUR MINI...I AM HAVING AN AFFAIR WITH MINI'S RIGHT NOW...WILL SEND YOU SOME PICS.
HUGS

Terri Paulson-Sasaki said...

Ohhhh, very cute. You did a great job. I wish I was still making a preschool grad album instead of the BIG album. Everytime I start on my baby's book, I start crying and have to stop. So it won't be done for graduation next week. I love the poem and as a teacher I would love it.

Jana Eubank said...

So cute! I wouldn't have thought to make a preschool grad album! You're such a stinkin' cute mom! Love the candy bar poem, too!

Paula Clare said...

I have been privately emailed by several soon to be empty nesters regarding helpful hints for said sad mommies...I thought I'd post them here...I hope you don't mind Trish (YOU are the one who started this, what with the commenting about it being KINDERGARTEN and not high school, etc. :-) ) And so, without further adieu, hints on Coping: Let's see...

1. Remain calm.

2. ALWAYS carry tissues with you...(even the drive thru lane of McDonald's can bring you to tears while waxing nostalgic, one can think of the "Happy Meal" days of yesteryear and before you know it, BAM! The flood ensues)

3. Remember you'll ALWAYS be a mom...just not in the same capacity.

4. Ignore rule 1.

5. If you don't have a hobby, GET ONE! Go on trips with girlfriends, go back to college, take up making pottery, become an archaeologist...DO something to fill the hours. (Bear in mind "sad" still catches up with you...but it's infinitely easier to deal with if you're too busy to ruminate!)

Blessings,
Paula Clare aka Disgruntled Empty Nester

P.S. Blogging is one hobby *I* took up to help fill some of the empty nest time!)